Sunday, April 26, 2009

Me...Going Green?

I'm not the first name that comes to mind when you think of Living Green, but when I saw these Laptop Lunchboxes on Amber's site Berlin's Whimsy, I was hooked. I admit, it was probably the "cute" factor that drew me in. Those happy little food faces staring up at me....they were calling...."make me"! (Go check out Lunch Ideas on her site - you'll understand what I mean).

I'm all about making food pretty. I do it in my everyday regular life. I serve dinners on fancy platters. I add herb and flower garnishes to our plates. I adorn the top of salads with a hint of what's inside. So why shouldn't my daughter have a lunch that is pretty too?

The truth is, because I seldom (if ever) get around to actually packing her lunch. It's easier to have her buy school lunch. She's not a picky eater, and she can always find something on the salad bar if she doesn't like the hot lunch selection. Just because she doesn't complain, she doesn't get the benefit of my best efforts, and that's just not fair!

So I did it. I ordered the pink Lunchbox from Laptop Lunches along with a few extra containers. They arrived a few days ago. When I saw the box sitting at my front door I was positively giddy (OK, maybe I need more excitement in my life). I also ordered some Bento accessories on e-bay, but those will take a bit longer to get here.

I can hardly wait to get started. I'm sure the task of being new and creative on a regular basis will get overwhelming, but for now, the excitement of making fun food creations for Monday's lunch is all I'm thinking about. School is almost over, so this is probably a good time to start. We'll see how long I can actually keep it up.

Here I go. I'm committing publicly - to packing my daughters lunch for (at least) the next week (baby steps). I know she will appreciate the effort, and if she gets better nutrition, and we reduce waste just a bit, then I'm happy to at least be making a step in the right direction.

I'll post more later, after I actually have some cute food packed in the Lunchbox. Right now I have to get to the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment