Monday, November 28, 2011

Fall Harvest Party

I wish I could share some photos from the Fall Harvest Party with all the tables and linens in place and the food stations filled - but there is just never enough time to get everything prepped AND take pictures.

Leaves

It was a glorious day (and evening). The rains cleared up and all the Fall Leaves were in full color.

Leaves and Candelight

You will just have to imagine that everything looked beautiful and tasted even better. (You can see some of the food prep going on here).



THE MENU

Appetizers:

Fresh Veggie Bar (similar to this)
Soy Aioli & Garlic Creme' Fraiche Dipping Sauces
Roasted Red Pepper Dip with Pita Chips
Tomato Basil Bruschetta (I love the one from Trader Joes)


Main Course:

Italian Stuffed Mushrooms (recipe)
Tropical BBQ Meatballs
Chicken Satay with Peanut Dipping Sauce
Shrimp Cocktail
Roasted Apple, Onion & Squash Tart
Individual Potato Gratins (adapted from this recipe)
Tortellini Skewers
Spam Musabi


Dessert:

Pumpkin Roll (recipe)
Apple Caramel Trifle (recipe)
Pecan Tassies
Chocolate Hazelnut Shortbread Cookies
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bites
Mini Cheesecakes (recipe)

I had each course set up in a different part of the house:

Appetizers at the Breakfast Bar
Main Course in the Dining Room
Desserts and Coffee in the Office
Cocktails were served at the Bar in the Family Room
Beer, Wine, Water and Punch were set up on the Deck outside the Kitchen

This set up helped traffic flowed throughout the evening, so not everyone was clumped in one area.


I used an old cheese box to hold colorful paper napkins.

Cheese Box

I love the patina of the old wood - especially against the burlap table runners.

Burlap Runner

The cheese box inspired me to make something similar for the Buffet Table Centerpiece. I've been keeping some old fence boards from when we had some repairs done.

Centerpiece

I knew I'd find something to make out of them. Because they were pretty weathered (and not very sturdy), I attached them to a solid 1 X 8 pine board base to create a long trough like box.

Centerpiece

Then I filled it to the rim with moss and twigs.

Mushrooms

I couldn't resist adding some mushrooms.

Centerpiece

Pumpkins of all sizes, and gourds and berries.

Centerpiece

I did buy a set of handles, but other than that, everything was from my "collection" of scraps.

Centerpiece

Candles of all different sizes tucked in between the harvest goodies made everything glow.

Centerpiece

It looked so pretty......until the FIRE.

Yep - we had a little Fire. The Candles caught some of the mossy twigs alight.

Open Flame + Dried Wood + Moss.....I guess I should have seen that one coming?

Fire

This isn't the first time something like this has happened - it seems to be an unfortunate tradition at our dinner parties.

Luckily no damage was done and no one got hurt.

Everyone had a wonderful time. It was great to spend some personal time with my husbands Staff and their Families.

Tree

Hands

Everything Fall is now packed away and we're in full swing decorating for Christmas.

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.



22 comments:

  1. Karina, everything is just so beautiful!! I love the burlap runner and the centerpiece out of old fence wood is just pure genius. i would love to do something like that next year, i love a low centerpiece that doesn't have to be removed when people sit down to eat!:) your party sounds so wonderful and that menu!! it is making me hungry! Good thing it's lunch time here. (not that I will be dining on that kind of fare!)
    have a happy day karina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, the fire. That happened at my baby shower. :) We put a candle below some flowers in a vase, and that was a really bad idea.

    I'm glad the party went well. The decor looks beautiful, and I could stare at those amazing leaves outside all day long. The colors are stunning! Gorgeous photos my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...it sounds perfect! Well...except for the fire part. hehe...

    Spam musubi?!?! I would so be there just for that. :)

    And I LOVE the box you made from your old pickets. I will have to get BSD to make me one w/our pallet of unmade "fish sticks."

    You put forth so much effort! I'm sure everyone was incredibly impressed and I hope appreciative.

    Happy Christmas season, my friend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Karina, your Thanksgiving sounds wonderful! Your dinner in different rooms reminds me of a progressive dinner party...except all in one house- so cool! As always, your decorations are gorgeous. LOVE the centerpiece you made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a wonderful idea. Your menu sounds so yummy and the centerpiece will have to be duplicated for my fall table this year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm really pleased with how the box turned out. Planning on using it this summer for some outside parties - filled with sunflowers and citrus fruits.

      Delete
  6. Just came across this on Pinterest and I love it! I have been trying to find a narrow box like this for a long time, but haven't been successful...now I'm inspired to try and make one. Would you be so kind as to give me the dimensions of your centerpiece box? Height, length and width? Did you put the hardware on the ends yourself? Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy,

      The box measures 49"L X 9"W X 7.5"H. The height was determined by the height of two fence boards. I used a new 1 X 8 board for the bottom for stability since the fence boards were very old and worn. I also used a portion of 1 X 8 up each of the ends (which was then covered with the fence boards) so the hardware could be attached securely. It didn't take any time at all and has come in very use full for several seasons.

      Delete
  7. LOVE your weathered box! I need to find some old boards now;-) it's so nice to see a blog that has tons of gorgeous photos - GREAT job! (saw you on remodelaholic....yours was my fav...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS, I'm going to look for a spot in my own fall table decor post to feature you....keep your eyes out :-) I think it will be in my post on the 18th!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh your centrepiece is SO gorgeous! Love love it!
    Jo-Anna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karina, your centerpiece is absolutely gorgeous! Also love the ruffled burlap runner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wanted to let you know I featured this project for fall on my blog. If for any reason you find this objectionable, please let me know and I will happily remove it and the links! I found it very inspiring and wished to share it with my blog readers.

    Kind Regards,
    Kimber

    You can find the post @
    http://www.stilettosinthemud.com/10/post/2012/09/fall-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your wooden box - and your pictures make me want to add some handles to a vintage crate that I have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saw you on pinterest, love the box and burlap runner, pinned your fall box! Newest followr, hope to see you visit and follow along! Now to check your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it all! I have a question, did you make or buy your burlap ruffle table runner? I must have one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay - I did make the burlap table runner. It was very easy with minimal sewing. All of the edges are un-hemmed. I used two contrasting colors of burlap to create the ruffles on both ends.

      Delete
    2. Sorry to keep bugging you! I just bought burlap today and I'm wondering if you put anything on the edges of the runner to keep them from fraying. I have never worked with it before and it's kind of a mess! Any other pointers you could give me would be great! Thanks!

      Delete
    3. No Problem. I'm happy to help however I can. I didn't finish any of the edges. The only sewing I did was to attach the ruffles to the main runner. I DID, however, pull one of the weft (warp) threads of the burlap to create a straight cutting line. I think that might have prevented some of the extra fraying bits from coming off. On the ruffles I then pulled out extra threads to create a kind of tassled edge. If you are having problems with it shedding/fraying too much - you could always run a single stitch along the edge (in matching thread) that would tie together the weft/warp of the burlap and prevent it from fraying. It was definitely a mess as I was working with it, but didn't seem to continue to shed once it was completed. Good Luck - would love to see your finished project.

      Delete
  15. Karina, I just saw the photo of your gorgeous autumnal box on Pinterest & had to stop by to tell you how beautiful EVERYTHING looks in this post!
    Awesome photographs & some wonderfully rustic ideas. BRAVO!

    Since this was posted last year, I'm curious what you've got planned for 2013!

    fondly,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  16. p.s. I'm your newest follower...I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE this. I have old fence board that I was planning to incorporate into my Thanksgiving centerpiece. Do you have directions on how to make this box?

    ReplyDelete